Use case for Watson Catalog (part of the IBM Cloud Pak for Data)
Every organisation would like to leverage the power of data they collect to drive insights, to improve efficiency, to become more responsive, to apply machine learning and AI and stay ahead of competition.
Data catalogs form a critical tool in establishing a common glossary of data for data consumers, data creators and data curators. Data catalog provides this centralised glossary and organises enterprise data sets to help data users perform searches for specific data that they need and understand its meta data, such as data lineage, uses, and how others perceive the data’s value.
This is the most generic use case of a data catalog. IBM’s Watson Cloud (which is now part of the Cloud Pak suite of solutions) is a web-based solution that empowers data scientists explore, consolidate, and analyse data.
At the Dot Group, we can’t stress enough about the importance of a robust information architecture in order to monetise your data. Artificial Intelligence enabled analytics can provide insights into customer behaviour, business operations and offer a humongous opportunity for business to provide personalised / exceptional customer service, reduce the cost of operations and create offerings to beat competition. However, let’s not forget that AI and analytics are only as good the quality of your data.
Using Watson Catalog for competitive data analysis and insights
Market research firms collect and analyse huge amounts of competitive data or data around customer behaviours. A web -based data cataloguing tool, such as Watson Catalog, is important for market research firms so they can deliver valuable insights to their customers. The tool can be used to
- Link disparate data sources into a central meta data platform creating one source of truth. These data sources could be various databases, web assets living on the client’s own infrastructure or hosted on the cloud.
- Categorise various data assets so they can be easily retrieved using common glossary.
- Ensuring easy retrieval and accessibility of data while maintaining high level of governance. Often the information collected by market research firms is highly competitive and confidential. So even though availability of information is essential for designated data scientists to drive consumer insights and provide recommendations, data security is prime concern.
- Data masking and encryption of data is needed to ensure security and confidentiality of data. Also, in most cases it provides compliance to regulations such as GDPR as confidential customer information is masked for carrying out analysis.
- Provide self-service access to data. An intelligent catalog allows all users to know what data exists and the tools to allow them to go and get it.
- Provide a 360-degree view of the data and visually represent for analysis
The perfect solution for data scientists
“Storytelling in data science is emerging as a critical skill to have in analytics. Without it, data-driven insights have a tendency to wither on the vine."
By Anthony Scriffignano, Ph.D., Dun & Bradstreet Published: 01 Oct 2019
IBM Watson Catalog provides the right tool to data scientists to become story tellers.
If you think Watson Catalog could be a solution for your data management and analysis problems? Book a quick call to discuss if it is the right solution for you.